Frauds committed via phishing site, trojan and network penetration is listed among the 10 scenarios that will receive severe punishment.
The notice on 4th Nov by Changzhou authority proposed 4 measures to prevent loss from bitcoin ransomware like web-surfing conduct, implementation of multi-level network security strategy, terminal protection and data backup and recovery. It’s unusual for a regulatory authority to issue an official notice aiming for a specific virus, probably the first of its kind in China.
Changzhou government released a warning against Bitcoin ransomware in November 2016
6. Regulation Earlier today, the Supreme People’s Court of China publicized an official interpretation on the telecom fraud and other criminal cases. Criminals who have committed frauds with value of more than 3,000 RMB of public and private property can be sentenced to less than 3 years imprisonment, 3 to 10 years imprisonment for 30,000 RMB and lifetime imprisonment for amount above 500,000 RMB.
This is the second time our lab experienced extortion by Bitcoin ransomware. We paid around 10,000 RMB. Please spread the words to those who have lots of research data, especially those who are about to graduate.
2. 2016 China Bitcoin ransomware report Cryptolocker is believed to be the first ransomware in the market when it was detected in 2013. The localization of similar virus came 3 years later when the first ransomware with Chinese instructions, Locky, was intercepted by Antiy, a Chinese internet security company.
3. Bitcoin payment is difficult for common users The third chapter in the report is about bitcoin payment. A sample survey indicates that 11.9% victims choose to pay the ransom to recover files, among which 58.4% are paid via taobao, 33.3% by following ransomware instructions and the rest by resorting to friends. However, not every payment attempt is successful. For those who seek payment via taboo, 92.9% of the victims eventually paid off successfully and recovered their files. Only 50% managed to pay via ransomware prompt instructions. The most unreliable means is through friends with zero success. In the end, 70.8% victims finally delivered the payment. That means bitcoin payment via self-education is not that easy. As Bitcoin is a censored word on taobao, I searched “ransom “instead and found an individual shop that offers to decrypt files at the price of 3, 600 RMB. 77 user comments are mostly praising the shop-owner’s timely service even in mid-night.
Bitcoin has two sides, just like any other coins in the history of mankind.
Obviously, the victim was seeking a free solution but he soon realized that he was left with only two options: to pay or to format. The decryption without private key is almost impossible. Comment from CharAznable is cold but realistic:
360 is the leading IT company in China, claiming to be the 1# internet security company in China with 600 million users, among which 1 million are enterprise accounts. The report soon became the source of many similar reports in China’s mainstream media.
Taobao shop that offers decryption service
The outbreak in the 2nd half of 2016 is said to be linked to a Trojan on a major financial website. In 2016, at least 4.97 million PCs were attacked and the number is expected to grow 10 times to 50 million in 2017.
Ransomware is a denial-of-access attack that prevents computer users from accessing files since it is intractable to decrypt the files without the decryption key. Ransomware attacks are typically carried out using a Trojan that has a payload disguised as a legitimate file. -Wikipedia
360 anti-ransomware service
Download the 21 page report full report(Chinese).
CEO, chairman, president and other core business leaders are most willing to pay a ransom, accounting for 25.0%. Because their computers often host core data that does not necessarily have backup files. On the other hand, none of the senior or secondary level of executives is willing to pay a ransom, mainly due to their files are usually backed up in their subordinates. The financial sector victims are most willing to pay a ransom, accounting for 33.3%, followed by 20.0% from the energy sector, 14.3% for the foreign trade sector, 9.6% for the IT / Internet, 7.9% for the manufacturing sector and 4.8% for the school. Financial employees often host important data related to investment, risk analysis etc.
4. Alternative solution At the end of the report, 360 offers to pay up to 200 bitcoin for enterprise users if they are infected. To enter into the agreement, users must turn on the anti-ransom service as described below:
The location of weibo indicates that she is earning her doctoral degree in the Institute of Hydrobiology of Chinese Academy of Sciences. Unfortunately the weibo was not reposted, not even once. Her voice was weak but she was not alone. Last month, one of the top 10 threads in Peking University BBS was a call for help from a victim of Bitcoin ransomware. The victim said he received an email in his PKU emailbox with a PDF attachment. He doubled click the file out of curiosity, then all of his files were locked. 3 bitcoins were demanded to decrypt the files and he was given a detailed instruction as below:
1. Individual and enterprise victims Wenting released a weibo one week ago, warning the Bitcoin ransomware. Her tone was serious:
The survey also reveals that the importance of data infected is the most important factor in choosing to pay or to format. The other three factors are monthly income, job position and related industry.
On 15th December. 360 Internet Security Center released an annual report of 2016 China Ransomware. Some figures are listed below:
That depends on how much you value your data.
In fact the breakout of ransomware is so rampant that a municipal government has to release an official warning on taking precautionary measures against Bitcoin ransomware, as first disclosed on 8btc forum.
5. 50 million PC targeted in 2017 In the first half of 2016, around 580,000 PCs were attacked and the number grew 8 times in the second half.
Qihu 360, the leading IT company in China, releases an annual report on the development of ransomware in China and predicts 10 times growth of potential victims or 50 million in 2017.
As per service agreement, if users PC got infected under the protection of 360 service, 360 promises to pay up to 3 bitcoins for individual and 200 bitcoins for enterprise accounts. Dr.Pei Zhiyong, the author of the annual report, points out that virus makers have to compete with technology advancements, finding loopholes to facilitate extensive propagation in the past. The more victims, the more profits they could make. But things have changed now with the combination of cryptography, Tor network and Bitcoin payment. These technologies are matures and easy to replicate. Bitcoin is the final link in the business model. Traditional virus must combat with anti-virus software to survive in the victim’s operation system. Now with one-time encryption, the victims have to delete the files or pay at least one Bitcoin, or 800 USD equivalent at today’s spot price. Such amount could only be achieved with thousands of infected terminals in the past.
The ransomware attacks from April to May 2016.
Ransomware attack from August to November
Bitso Opens Bitcoin Donation Support for Mexico City Earthquake Relief
Whenever a natural disaster takes place, there is a dire need for relief efforts. Although not everyone can send goods over to affected countries, financial support will do the job as well. Rather
More Crypto-Criticism, This Time from Dogecoin’s Creator.
The latest in the slew of crypto critics is Jackson Palmer, the creator of Dogecoin. Palmer claims that thanks to the proliferation of scam ICOs, a similar fate might be lurking in wait for the rest
Blockchain Cruise Asia Set to Become the Major Asian Blockchain Conference in 2018
Famed cryptocurrency services provider CoinsBank has plans for a new gathering of Blockchain technology enthusiasts on the horizon. After achieving success for two straight years with Blockchain
Ethereum Classic Price Technical Analysis – ETC/USD To Retest $11?
Ethereum classic price is correcting lower against the US Dollar and Bitcoin. ETC/USD might extend declines as sellers eye a test of the $11.00 level. There was a decent recovery from the $8.70
VibeHub VR/AR application ICO approaching end
VibeHub is a Virtual and Augmented reality application for the use of music, education, gaming and dating. The VibeHub team will use holoportation technology to holoport mainstream artists and
US bank CEOs are likely 'very afraid' of bitcoin, says wealth advisor
CEOs of U.S. banks are likely "very afraid" of bitcoin, according to a wealth advisor. Some financiers have said the cryptocurrency is an unwise investment because of its volatility or supposedly
BTC/USD and BTC/JPY Technical Analysis September 20 2017
Hello and welcome to News BTCâs Market OutlookÂ September 20. BTC/USD Bitcoin dipped at the beginning of the session on Tuesday, but seems to be finding support near the $3900 level. As I
ETH/USD and ETH/BTC Technical Analysis September 20 2017
Hello and welcome to News BTCâs Market OutlookÂ September 20. ETH/USD Ethereum fell initially during the day on Tuesday, but found the $280 level be supportive enough to turn things around